I know your probably wondering how this happened and how it turned out and lucky for you, I’m about to tell you the whole story!
On Sunday March 18th we were having a typical Sunday just hanging out having family time. Until… B-Rae pulled my pearl stud earrings out and was looking at them. I told her “B-Rae those are mommies earrings, give them back to me, please.” She was just sitting on my lap totally enthralled with these earrings! Of course faster than I could snap my fingers she shoved them in her mouth. I immediately put my finger in her mouth doing the “fish hook” routine, which then caused her to tilt her head back. I jumped forward in the chair to tilt her head forward but I saw this look on her face! I knew she had swallowed at least one of them. I grabbed the other one out of her mouth and just looked at Fiance with my “Uh Oh” face.
The good news is that B-Rae didn’t seem to mind at all that she had just swallowed an earring. Of course she just wanted to go play with the dish washer like most 20 month olds do ;). At 7:30 PM I was calling my mother on the phone I was sitting at the computer googling “my child swallowed an earring” lol, yes I did. :) Half of the stories on-line seemed to say go to hospital other half said call pediatrician and do whatever they say. My mom told me not to freak out and that accidents happen, how I’m such a good mom and blah blah I won’t toot my own horn here ;) I called B-Rae’s Pediatrician who of course wanted to know exactly what the earring looked like and had she swallowed the back with the stud. I informed the Dr. that it was only the stud not the back and I described to him what I will show you in this picture.
He advised us to take her to the hospital to get an xray. This way they can take a look and make sure it is on its way out safely! So while B-Rae went about her merry way playing, Fiance and I were packing up a bag and her diaper bag as if we would stay the night. We weren’t sure what we were in for. Right about 8:00 PM we were pulling out of our driveway. We live an hour away from the nearest hospital! So around 9:00 PM we walked through the emergency room doors.
Thankfully B-Rae was in a great mood and she played through the whole 3 hours we were there. The Dr. even had her laughing! Which has never happened because she has had full on melt downs for the last 8 months whenever we go to the pediatricians office. If you haven’t experienced this yet let me tell you that babies do not like x-rays! Thankfully her father and I were able to be in the room with her holding her still with lead aprons on. FINALLY around midnight the Dr. came in and told us that the earring was in fact in her tummy making its way through her digestive system. He told us that everything looked good and she should pass it just fine. We were instructed to return to the hospital or her normal care provider for a follow up x-ray if she did not pass the earring within 24 hours.
Relieved and exhausted we went through discharge and made our way to the car. After changing B-Rae into her pj’s we hit the road towards home, which let me remind you was an hour away…
I am very pleased to end this story with tell you that the earring turned up in her diaper the next afternoon. Just in case you are wondering the fate of the earring… TRASH CAN! Yucky!
Hope this is helpful to mothers who heaven forbid find themselves one day googling “child swallowed earring” ;)